Sweet potatoes are so amazing and versatile. You can bake ’em, fry ’em or mash them and they are very affordable.
This loaf uses spelt wholemeal flour but regular wholemeal wheat flour will work too.
As mentioned in previous posts about spelt, its gluten behaves differently and it is therefore easier to digest compared to wheat flour, its cousin.
200g raw sweet potato
250g wholemeal spelt
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp olive oil/rapeseed oil
2 1/2 tsp vinegar (balsamic/red wine vinegar/apple cider vinegar)
200 ml milk (Use non dairy to make this loaf vegan)
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celcius (fan oven)
- Peel and slice the sweet potato and steam until a skewer/knife passes through easily (10-15 minutes)
- Weigh out the flour and add salt and baking soda.
- Blend the steamed sweet potato with the 200 ml of milk (a nutribullet will do this in seconds) and then add the vinegar and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour into a greased loaf tin and sprinkle with seeds or leave it au natural.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before removing from tin/cutting.