This is a really sweet (naturally) pasta dish that’s full of hidden vegetables. This dish was inspired by the book “Yeti spaghetti” which we took out from the library one afternoon and then the boys asked for it for dinner.
This is a vegetarian and vegan dish. I served it with chickpeas and sesame seeds (rocks from the Yeti’s mountain) to sprinkle over the top.
Ingredients: serves 4
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 1/2 can chickpeas
- Sesame seeds (source of iron, calcium, magnesium and copper)
- Pasta (wholewheat spaghetti)
- Chop onions, dice peppers and carrots.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add onions.
- Brown for 5 minutes then add the carrots and peppers.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar.
- Simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the spaghetti.
- Blend the sauce to whatever consistency your little ones will eat (my 4 year old would happily eat the veg whole whereas my 2 year old needs it blended to hide them).
- Mix the sauce through the spaghetti and serve as a Yeti Mountain with chickpeas and sesame seeds (the boulders and stones).