Vegetarian and vegan meals don’t have to take hours; preparing and soaking beans etc. This hearty recipe is my version of a veggie bolognese. I usually serve this with rice as the combination of rice with beans or lentils makes it a great source of complete protein. A sprinkling of nutritional yeast on top adds some Vitamin B12 which all vegetarians and vegans need to ensure that they get enough of.
200g red split lentils
1/2 tin of black eyed beans rinsed
1 clove garlic
1/2 stock cube
1 tin tomatoes
1 small potato diced
1/2 courgette diced
2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried basil
Wholewheat pasta or brown rice
Nutritional yeast to sprinkle over the top
- Brown onions in a pan and then add the garlic, courgette, potato and mushrooms.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes and then add the tinned tomatoes, 1/2 stock cube and 200ml water along with the paprika, basil and a good sprinkling of pepper.
- Add the red split lentils and the black eyed beans.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover and allow to simmer for an hour
- Serve in a large bowl over rice or even with pasta or spaghetti.
- Sprinkle some nutritional yeast over the top.