As a family we are obsessed with scones. I think it must be genetic. At all times there must be scones in the house, preferably brown scones.
The choice of coffee shop is all dependent on the quality of their scones. My mother regularly arrives at my house, having been invited over for lunch with her own stash of scones in case mine are not up to standard or, heaven forbid, shop bought!
This is my recipe for brown scones.
These scones can be made vegan by using coconut oil and non dairy milk and yoghurt.
450g wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of salt
50g cup of butter or coconut oil melted
2 tablespoons natural yoghurt (you could use coconut or soy yoghurt)
Approx 140ml cup of milk (cows, almond, soy or coconut will work)
Optional: 2 tablespoons sugar/honey/agave/maple syrup
Optional:sunflower seeds or sesame seeds for the top
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (fan oven).
- Add flour to a large bowl.
- Add the baking soda and salt and mix through.
- Add the sugar/sweetener now if you are adding it.
- Melt the butter or coconut oil and add to the dry ingredients and disperse throughout.
- Add the yoghurt and most of the milk and mix.
- Your mixture should come together into a ball.
- Add more milk if the mixture is still too dry.
- Lightly flour your surface and cut out scones (I like them big so I use a glass tumbler but you can make them as small or as big as you like).
- Rub some milk on top and sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown and when you knock on the base they should sound hollow.
- Serve with Irish Tea, butter or homemade jam. These scones are delicious with homemade soup.